Stefanie Huisman - Postpartum Doula
I developed my passion for birth and newborn care when I spent a year doing basic midwifery in Indian and African hospitals in 2011-2012. Since returning to Canada I have attended and assisted as a doula or midwife at over 60 births and many more postpartum visits. I graduated with Bachelor of Science in Midwifery in 2017.
It is my belief that women are capable of birthing and caring for their newborns with appropriate support and care. I acknowledge that complications may arise and individual preferences may be different. My goal is to respect and empower families to feel confident and content in their new role as parents as well as supporting siblings.
In my spare time I enjoy hiking, thrift store shopping for great finds, drinking coffee, and reading a good book with my odd cat Schmidt.
Training, Certification and Relevant Experience:
- DONA Trained Birth Doula - 2010
- DONA Trained Postpartum Doula - 2011
- Breastfeeding Course for Healthcare Providers - 2011
- Birth Attendant School (University of the Nations) - 2012
- Lamaze Trained Childbirth Educator - 2013
- Healthcare Provider CPR Certificate - Valid through 2017
- Neonatal Resuscitation Certification - Valid through 2017
- Bachelor of Science in Midwifery - 2017
- Food Safe Level 1 - Valid through 2018